What is Pupil Premium?
Pupil premium is funding allocated to schools for the purpose of boosting the attainment of pupils from low-income families. It is intended to enable schools to provide targeted support to help each child reach their full potential.
Funding is allocated for children who are looked-after by the Local Authority (CLA) and for every child who is registered for free school meals.
Who is eligible for Free School Meals?
Children can have Free School Meals if their parents receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax-Credit provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
It is really important to make sure all children who qualify are registered for Free School Meals, even if you choose to send a packed lunch for them. Please ask us if you think you may be entitled!
How can you register for Free School Meals?
To register for Free School Meals you need to complete an Education Benefit form. You can access this by:
- Asking for a form at the school office
- Visiting the Manchester City Council website
- Asking for a form at the job centre
How is Pupil Premium used to support pupils at Alma Park?
Schools have the freedom to spend the Premium in a way they think will best support their most vulnerable pupils.
At Alma Park, we believe that every child deserves the best possible start in life, regardless of their socioeconomic background or family circumstances. We use our Pupil Premium to provide high levels of additional support for our pupils, including:
- Booster classes in Literacy and Numeracy
- Learning Mentors
- Reading support at Breakfast Club
- Play therapy
- Literacy/Numeracy interventions such as Better Reading Partnership and Numbers Counts
These are just a few examples of the way Pupil Premium is used at Alma Park. If you would like more information, please ask us!